Browse E-Media Titles
- UCHC Access
(Proxy Needed For Off-Campus Access)
- Free Access
Number of Pages : 19
Current Page : 1
Total number of records : 918
- [PIN+]: prions beget prions - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- "Prions are infectious proteins; [PIN+] is a prion of Rnq1 - [PIN+] exists as different variants; Prions can affect the stability of other variants of the same prion, or of heterologous prions"
- 3D Head and Neck Anatomy for Dentistry
- Specialised clinical content includes 3D views of progressive dental conditions and interactive nerve views. Note: There are seats for 5 concurrent users. Remote access not available.
- 3D Organization of the Nucleus and Inheritance of Epigenetic States - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Yeast chromosomal and nuclear structure: euchromatin with heterochromatic domains at the silent mating type loci and at telomeres; heterochromatin is distinguished by a repressive structure which spreads along deacetylated histone tails
- 3D Tooth Atlas
- Dental anatomy and interactive 3D tooth atlas. 3D Tooth Atlas only runs in Internet Explorer
- Accelerated Atherosclerosis in Autoimmune Rheumatic Disease - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Immunoinflammatory mechanisms involved in atherosclerosis; Autoantibodies and atherosclerosis; Clinical and subclinical atherosclerosis in rheumatoid arthritis; Clinical and subclinical atherosclerosis in systemic lupus erythematosus
- Acid beta-Glucosidase/Glucocerebrosidase (GCase) - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Role in disease; Molecular genetics; Enzymology and cell biology; Properties of GCase; Structure and function of GCase; Requirements for activity; GCase and Gaucher disease; Mutations; Genotype/phenotype correlations
- Actions of steroid hormones in the brain - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Estrogen regulation of female sexual behavior in the rat; Adrenal steroids and spatial memory; Steroid hormone metabolism in brain; Limitation of steroid access; Rapid non-genomic actions of steroids in brain; Steroid regulation of signaling pathways
- Activation of PTK Receptors in Solid Human Tumors - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- The human kinome; Role of tyrosine kinases in cancer; Mechanisms of activation of RTKs in physiological and pathological conditions; Autocrine Loop; The dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans model; Gene Amplification; the breast cancer model; Mutation
- Adaptor mediated activation of the Hsp100/ Clp protein ClpC controls general and regulatory proteolysis in Bacillus subtilis - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Adaptor protein activation of ClpCP mediated proteolysis in B. subtilis Hsp100/Clp proteins and proteolysis; ClpCP of B. subtilis in competence development and protein quality control; Adaptor protein (MecA) mediated activation of ClpCP
- Adeno-Associated Viruses - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Adeno-associated virus; Molecular biology; Persistent infection; Lack of pathogenicity; Use as a vector for gene therapy; Vector structure and properties; Vector production; Clinical trials
- Adipose tissue metabolism and obesity - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Experimental approaches for study of adipose tissue biology; Lipoprotein lipase and triacylglycerol hydrolysis; Fatty acid uptake by fat cells; Triacylglycerol synthesis; Lipid droplets; Adipocyte lipases; Lipid droplet proteins
- Adjusting for population structure in genetic association studies - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- "Effect of population structure in generating spurious associations; Cause of problem is confounded by pedigree; Pre-2006 solutions: design based (TDT), genomic control, structured association; New solutions in 2006: null markers as regression covariates"
- Admixture mapping: pitfalls and potential - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Applications of statistical modelling of population admixture; Genetic and environmental explanations for ethnic differences in disease risk; Methods for finding genes that influence complex traits; Exploiting admixture to map genes
- Aging and Evolutionary Medicine - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Declined mortality in industrialized societies; Maximum human longevity; Werner's syndrome; Common age-related pathologies; The force of natural selection declines with age; Mutationaccumulation theory; The pleiotropy or trade-off theory
- Agrobacterium tumefaciens: a tool for plant genetic engineering, a model for host detection by pathogens and a model for cell-cell communication - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- "Agrobacterium and tumor inducing plasmid; T-DNA transfer; Using Agrobacterium to create "transgenic" plants; VirA and VirG; Two component system; Quorum sensing; LuxR-LuxI-like regulatory system composed of TraR and TraI; Acylhomoserine lactones (AHLs)"
- Alemtuzumab (Campath-1H) in Therapy of CLL - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Development of Campath-1H; Burroughs-Wellcome Era (BW); Millenium (LeukosSite)-Ilex Era (MI); Differences between BW era and MI era; The two main trials in the BW era: study 005 in European countries and study 009 in the USA; Responses to these trials
- Allocation Concealment, Prediction and Selection Bias - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Introduction to selection bias; Allocation methods; Evidence for subversion bias; Restricted or simple randomization; Problems with cluster randomization; Evidence for selection bias in cluster trials
- Alzheimer's Disease - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Basic epidemiological facts on AD; Typical and atypical symptoms; Cognitive and physical findings; Key clinical investigations typically undertaken; Broad therapeutic approaches; Natural history and prognosis
- Amino acid conjugation: contribution to the metabolism and toxicity of xenobiotic carboxylic acids - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Conjugation reaction pathway; Forms of CoA ligase; Activity of mitochondrial N-acyltransferases; Substrates for amino acid conjugation; Effect of limited CoASH on cellular processes; Mitochondrial toxicity; Implications for rational drug design
- Amino Acid Synthesis in Chloroplasts - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Nitrate and ammonium uptake; Ammonium assimilation; Synthesis of aspartate-dependent amino acids; Synthesis of branched chain amino acids; Synthesis of aromatic amino acids; Regulation of amino acid metabolism
- Amyloidosis: Disease Caused by Amyloid - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- "What is, and what is not amyloidosis; Amyloid deposits; Clinical amyloidosis; Amyloid fibrillogenesis; Tissue damage by amyloid; Imaging amyloid in vivo; Treatment of amyloidosis"
- Analysis of Protein-Protein Interaction, Transcriptional Regulation and Metabolic Networks - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Biological networks: small networks dedicated to a specific task and genome-scale networks; Protein interaction networks; The yeast two-hybrid assay and its limitations; Graph theory
- Analysis of SNP Haplotypes - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Phenotype-genotype association; Linkage disequilibrium maps and allelic association; What is linkage disequilibrium?; The role of linkage disequilibrium in facilitating allelic association; What is a haplotype?; The importance of haplotypes
- ANCA-Associated Systemic Vasculitides - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Definitions and classification; PAN- versus ANCA-associated vasculitides; Epidemiology; Pathogenesis; Treatment; Optimization of conventional treatments; Assessment; New drugs and strategies; Relapses; Specific treatments for specific problems
- Animal models to explore cardiovascular disease - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- "Atherosclerosis is a complex disease involving several different molecular and cellular mechanisms in its pathogenesis; For its experimental investigation, usually higher animals as mammals need to be employed"
- Antibiotic inhibition of ribosome function - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- "Overview of antibiotics that target the ribosome; Different mechanisms by which translation initiation inhibitors, such as kasugamycin and edeine, perturb initiator tRNA binding"
- Antibiotic Resistance and Hospital-Acquired Infection - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Rates and consequences of hospital acquired infection; History of antibiotic resistance; The process of natural selection; Mutation as a source of resistance; Lateral gene transfer; The bacterial ecology of a hospital; Resistance in the community
- Antibiotics that target the 50S ribosome subunit: resistance and other considerations - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Why target the 50S ribosomal subunit?; Analysis of antibacterial market; Mechanisms of drug resistance; Sequestration; How do antibiotics gain entry into cells; Porins; Lack of uptake; Self-promoted uptake drug modification
- Antibodies as Anti-Virals - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Anti-viral activities of antibody in vitro; Neutralization; Mechanisms of neutralization; Other activities against free viruses; Activities against infected cells; Antibody mediated enhancement; Anti-viral activities of antibodies in vivo; Protection
- Antibodies by Protein Engineering - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Therapeutic antibodies; Monoclonal antibodies; Rat Campath-1; IgG structure and genes; IgG antibody; Mouse-human chimeric antibodies; Humanized antibodies; Campath-1H; B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia (B-CLL); Multiple sclerosis
- Antibodies in the Control of Type I Diabetes - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- The history of IDDM; Autoimmune origin of human type 1 diabetes; Natural history and pathophysiology of type 1 diabetes; The role of regulatory T-cells in the control of type 1 diabetes; Objectives of immunotherapy in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus
- Antibody Depletion Therapy in Transplantation: Implications for Tolerance - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Overview of alloreactivity; Tolerance approaches; Co-stimulatory blockade; Requirement for cell depletion; Homeostatic proliferation overview; Homeostatic proliferation generates memory cells and blocks tolerance induction; Depletion spares memory cells
- Antibody Engineering of Fc Effector Functions - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- IgG structure and modes of action; Human IgG Fc receptors; Structural interactions; Engineering strategy; Selection of subclasses and effector functions; Manipulation of functions; Case study: FMAIT; Design and engineering of inhibitory Fc mutants
- Antibody Therapy of Multiple Sclerosis - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Story of multiple sclerosis; Symptoms; Pathogenesis; Pathological heterogeneity; Axonal degeneration; Current treatments; Interferons and glatiramer; Monoclonal antibody treatment of multiple sclerosis; Daclizumab; Natalizumab; Story of Campath-1H
- Anti-Cytokine Therapy in Rheumatoid Arthritis - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Characteristics of rheumatoid arthritis (RA); Epidemiology; Disease pathology; Synovitis; Cytokine network; Tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha; The role of TNF-alpha in rheumatoid arthritis; Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARD)
- Anti-IL-2 Receptor Antibodies as Models for Cancer Therapy - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Structure and function of IL-2 receptor; Disorders of IL-2 receptor expression in disease; IL-2R alpha-directed monoclonal antibody mediated therapy of leukemia and autoimmune diseases; Anti-IL-2E alpha monoclonals armed with toxins or radionuclides;
- Antioxidants and immune response and infectious diseases - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Essential antioxidants; Antioxidant defenses in immune infection; Antioxidants-host defense-infection: a complex interaction; Vitamin E deficiency; CVB3; Effect of host age; Effect of virus origin; Effect of passage; Antioxidant supplementation
- Antipsychotic-Induced Agranulocytosis - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Agranulocytosis; Adverse drug reactions; Etiological mechanisms; Idiosyncratic drug reactions; Genetic and immunologic background; Antipsychotic induced agranulocytosis; Clozapine; Olanzapine; Future strategies of research
- Antiretroviral therapy 2007, new concepts and lessons learned - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- "Data from recent past about AIDS; HIV life cycle and mechanisms of action of antiretroviral agents; Nucleoside-nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs/NtRTIs): potency, pharmacokinetics and adverse effects"
- Anti-TNF Therapy in Rheumatoid Arthritis - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Immunological basis of rheumatoid arthritis (RA); Up-regulated cytokine expression is of major importance in RA; Analysis of the disordered regulation shows that TNF blockade restored normal cytokine and destructive molecule levels
- Apoptosis and Disease: Apoptotic Cell Clearance Deficiencies - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive effects of apoptotic cells; Autoimmune disease and clearance of dying cells; Clearance deficiency of apoptotic cells; Germinal centre tingible body macrophage deficiency
- Apoptosis in C. elegans - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- "Programmed cell death in C. elegans during development and adulthood; Differentiation; Genetic pathway for programmed cell death; ced-3, ced-4 and ced-9; Activation of the cell death machinery during C. elegans development and in C. elegans vs. mammals"
- Apoptosis in the Immune System - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- "Basics of apoptosis; Signalling through death receptors; Apoptosis in the immune system; Apoptosis in diseases: sepsis, stroke and spinal cord injury; Apoptosis and killer T cells; Apoptosis and p53; Apoptosis and cancer"
- Apoptosis in the Nervous System - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- "Cell death programs in the nervous system; PCD; Similarities and differences in the classical PCD paradigm between worms and vertebrates; Conserved death mechanisms; Apoptosis, necrosis and autophagic cell death; Other death subroutines"
- Apoptotic Cell Clearance and its Implications - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- "Apoptosis; Uptake of apoptotic cells; Specialized forms of phagocytosis; Efferocytosis; Anti-inflammatory and anti-immunogenic responses to apoptotic cells; Tissue cell deletion and replacement; Tissue homeostasis; Autoimmunity, fibrosis and emphysema"
- Apoptotic Cell Clearance Deficiency - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive effects of apoptotic cells; Autoimmune disease and clearance of dying cells; Clearance deficiency of apoptotic cells; Germinal centre tingible body macrophage deficiency; Model for generation of nuclear autoimmunity
- Apoptotic Pathways in Mammals - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- "Apoptosis and programmed cell death; Apoptosis: developmental signals, damage or stress, loss of adhesion and oncogenesis; Caspases: inactive and active; Death folds; Inhibitors of apoptosis proteins; Death receptor (extrinsic) pathway"
- Arachidonic Acid and Store-Independent Calcium Entry - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Agonist-activated calcium entry: different modes; Synthesis and metabolism of arachidonic acid (AA); Properties of AA-activated calcium channels; Other effects of AA on calcium homeostasis; Calcium entry and cell proliferation
- Arylamine N-acetyltransferases - (Henry Stewart Talks)
- Mechanism of action; Reaction substrates; Isoform substrate profiles; Isoenzymes NAT1 and NAT2; Regulation of gene expression; Pharmacogenetics; Phenotype/genotype correlation; Ethnic variation; Transgenic mouse models
ALL A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z